Wednesday, January 11, 2012

E.R.

Yesterday Trey turned 7 weeks old.  We celebrated by spending the day in the ER....

Yesterday morning, my normally happy baby was screaming bloody murder for about three hours.  I couldn't figure out what was wrong.  He had eaten, been changed, burped, rocked, walked, etc.  I even checked his temp (which was normal).  Finally, I decided he might just be hot, so I took off his socks and this is what I saw...


** Neither of these pictures are of his toes because I was in too much of a panic to take a picture, but this is very much what it looked like**

I immediately called his pediatrician and got the first available appointment at 1:15 (it was around 11 when I found it)... although I was sure I couldn't wait that long. 

I got online and started researching and found that it was called hair tourniquet -- I had never heard of such a thing, but apparently it's not all that uncommon in infants.... especially because many new moms loose a lot of hair after giving birth...  All of the websites said if you wait too long, the child will likely loose the digit, so I immediately decided to try and remove it myself.

I grabbed his nail clippers and some tweezers and laid him down on my lap.  Only problem was he wouldn't let me go anywhere near his toe without squirming and screaming.  I reached over to grab my phone to call Phil to see if we should go to the hospital when Trey ROLLED off my lap onto the ground. 

I swear I stopped breathing for a second.   That answered that question-- we were definitely going to the hospital now.  Hysterically crying, I loaded him up in the car seat and ran to the ER as fast as I could.

Thankfully, everything is okay.  The doctors said that I must have been successful at removing the hair because it was gone by the time they looked at it (although his little toe was still very red and swollen).  They also checked his neurological signs because of the fall and that all looked good, too.  So, they sent us home. 

Trey seems back to his normal self today, but I am  still very traumatized.  I will be checking all of his socks DAILY from now on!  Please pass this along to any new moms, because it was very scary for me!    

No comments:

Post a Comment