Sunday, May 22, 2011

Development 12 and 13 Weeks

Week 12


This was this size of our baby last week (week 12).  A large plum.  Pretty cool, huh??  During week 12, all of the baby's organs are in place and the baby has started to produce white blood cells to ward off infection after the womb.

Highlight of this week:  hearing/seeing our baby's heartbeat (again).  Because the doctor couldn't manually find the heartbeat, he decided to do another (non-scheduled) ultrasound.   The heartbeat was easily seen and heard on U/S, so no worries :)

My symptoms at 12 weeks:  Although the extreme fatigue started to improve (no more afternoon siestas), I still found myself heading to bed around 8 pm.  I also noticed that I was having a lot of nightmares and really vivid dreams this week (not about the baby, just random things).  I haven't read anything about this, but a few of my co-workers said they experienced the same type thing throughout the pregnancy.   

Even though the fatigue was better in week 12, the sickness was not.  In fact, it was worse.  Up until week 11, my nausea did not interfere with my work.  Now, my sense of smell is really heightened and EVERYTHING makes me want to throw up.  And I'm having reflux for the first time in my life, which is making some of my favorite spicy foods way less appealing right now... 

Besides the nausea, everything else seems to be clearing.  Less headaches, stomach achiness, less fatigue, less bloating.  Things are starting to look up!


Week 13



Baby Z is now the size of a peach or a lemon.  "Tiny bones are beginning to form in her arms and legs, the intestines are beginning to move from the umbilical cord to the abdomen, and the vocal cords are well under construction.  And because she can move her arms and legs in a jerky fashion, she may be able to get her thumb into her mouth (a habit that may come in handy for self-soothing when she’s a newborn). "

My symptoms at 13 weeks:  Lessening (but not absent) nausea and fatigue.  I'm starting to feel like myself again.  I actually have energy to do some simple chores around the house.... i.e. dishes, laundry, dusting, mopping--  things I have been neglecting the past several weeks... 

I also went to a MOVIE. 


It was sooo funny (although a little raunchy at times).  It was so nice to get out of the house and see my friends again.  I have turned a little hermit-like with all of the sickness.... 

Food cravings are kicking in.  I really haven't had any too bad until this week.  One night, I was DYING for Chinese food.  And yesterday, Phil did a 5 Guys Burgers and Fries run for me because I REALLY wanted a burger.  Despite my junk food cravings, I have really tried to eat more balanced meals overall this week. 

3 more days left in the first trimester!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment