Monday, April 4, 2011

P90X

Ever heard of P90X? 

It is an extreme home exercise program.  And by "extreme" I mean extremely  difficult.  It's a 90-day program that meant to totally beat you down and build a lot of muscle.  It's also combined with a crazy diet (which I have no intention of following) of protein shakes and bars.  YUCK. 

My friend started doing this program back in November.  She has since lost 4 dress sizes!  No joke. Not that she was that big to begin with... a healthy size 12.  But, she just recently bought a new pair of jeans in size 4 and was so psyched.  After all, she is *almost* forty, has 3 children, a husband, 2 dogs, and a full-time job.  I'm proud of her for losing weight the "right" way.

She has been BEGGING me to try it. And, with the results that she has had, and beach season right around the corner, I figured I'd give it a shot. 

The DVD's came in.  I was feeling so excited and motivated to start the program, so I popped one of them in....

I lasted 28 minutes.  I literally thought I was going to die.  It was probably the best weights work out I've ever had.  Including my college swimming years.  And, I couldn't walk for the next THREE days.  I hobbled around like most of my patients.  One of the doctors at work even suggested I go to the walk-in clinic and get a muscle relaxer.  It was that bad.

Phil laughed at me....a lot.  I encouraged him to try it, knowing that he would be suffering just as much as I was.... he, of course, accepted the challenge.

He BARELY made it through the warm-up.  TEN minutes. Greg Werner would be so ashamed.

Phil limped into the bedroom and said that we needed to work our way up to 60 minutes.  So, we added another 4 weeks to the program!  P118X.  Yes, that sounds much better to me.  I have since worked my way up to 45 minutes 3 times a week (versus 60 minutes 6 times a week). 

Here's to week three and hopefully, completing my first full workout.  HAHA!

1 comment:

  1. Hard believe we used to swim 4 hours a day, huh? I did walking lunges with 15 pound dumbbells last week and it took me 4 days to be able to ascend or decend stairs normally!

    Oh the joys of post-collegiate swimming days!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete