Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Phelps

My little lady is a very sick girl.

On Saturday, Phil and I had to stop at the store and pick up some dog food and few random other things before he basketball games.  We got back home and unloaded the car, put away our goodies and rushed off to the game.  Well, apparently, we forgot to put up the Advil Liquid Gels.  The big bottle.  One hundred and sixty tablets.

While we were away, Phelps got into them.  She ate them.  Almost ALL of them.  We got home to a house covered in vomit.  This is not the first time our dogs have gotten into things they shouldn't have.  I usually immediately call my sister, who is a vet.  She usually tells me to make them throw up, and then they start to feel better.  I assumed this was the case and I figured that since Phelps had already thrown up, she would be fine in a day or two. 

The next day came and went.  Phelps did not eat a thing, which is extremely uncharacteristic of her.  I figured she was still feeling a little ill from her upset stomach, so I didn't think much of it.  I also noticed that she was sleeping a lot.  But, she is normally really lazy, so again, I didn't think too much of this, either.

Monday came.  She didn't eat any breakfast.  I was starting to get very concerned.  I went to work and decided that if she was not feeling better by the time I got home I would take her in. 

When I got home, she seemed like her usual self.  She and Lochte were playing.  I saw her drink.  "Yes, she must be feeling better." 

Then, dinner time came.  She wouldn't touch her food.  Three days.  No food. 

I got online and googled Advil and dogs.  The results were TERRIFYING.  Advil is apparently very toxic to dogs.  And, in many cases, lethal. Everything I saw online said take them in to the vet IMMEDIATELY.  I start to panic.  I frantically call Molly, who agrees with the articles and said I should taker her in ASAP.

At this point, I'm kicking myself for not seeing the signs.  For not immediately calling my sister or my primary vet. I am so mad at myself for letting my sweet little girl suffer for three days when I knew something was wrong.  Why did I wait so long?

Phil was on his way home, so I waited for him and then we rushed over to the ER.   Phelps was immediately admitted into the ICU.  The vet ran blood work and hooked her up to IV's.  She was going into renal failure- her kidneys were shutting down.  On top of that, Phelps was also spitting up blood, a sign of a gastric ulcer.  The vet said she was lucky because of the large amount that she consumed, that she was not demonstrating any neurological signs of poisoning i.e. seizures, coma, rigidity.  After all, that quantity of Advil is lethal for many dogs.

Phelps made it through last night (Monday).  The doctor was happy that she was able to produce a little urine-  which is a good sign for her kidney function.  However, she is no where near "in the clear."  The kidneys have to be functioning at 50% or greater, or else they will have to put her down.  They will likely have to catheterize her to measure her urine output.

The vet wants to keep Phelps in the hospital for a few more days with IV and then do more renal tests to determine the amount of damage and long term effects on her kidneys.  She is also scheduled for an ultrasound because of the probability of gastric ulcers and internal bleeding, which I believe, can be treated with medication.  

 That is all we know, for now.  I will try to update as frequently as possible over the next few days. Thanks so much for support and prayers!   

No comments:

Post a Comment