Sunday, February 27, 2011

Spring Cleaning: Yard Sale Preparation

When we first moved into our house, we didn't know where we wanted to put everything... so whatever didnt' have an immediate place, got "temporarily" stored  thrown into the garage...  We had all intention of eventually organizing it.... but, 3 years later, it still looks more like a dumpster than a garage.  Where did all of this stuff come from?!?




I know what you are thinking, and no, a tornado did not go through our garage....  just my dear husband, who I'm convinced has some mild hoarding tendencies. 

So, in prep of the yard sale, I decided it was time to re-organize and de-clutter.  And that's what I did - for 13 hours last Saturday, and probably 10 hours during the week.  I threw away 10 trash bags worth of junk that was too horrible to try and sell, took three car loads of sell-able junk over to a friend's house in Clearwater (location of the yard sale), and donated 3 bags of old clothes to Goodwill.

While Phelps was comfortably watching the cleaning chaos from the couch, Lochte was very anxious about all of the mess.  Poor guy gets so stressed out.... just didn't know what to think.


Of course some of that time was going through old childhood boxes and finding things I hadn't seen in YEARS- like old yearbooks, scrapbooks, toys, etc.   I decided to take pictures of some of my favorite things before I pitched them in the trash.

"RE," the name of my childhood blanket.  Carried this thing EVERYWHERE for  many, many years....much longer than I'd like to admit.  Very hard saying goodbye to this beat-up piece of fabric.

I really wish I could post an "after" picture of the garage... but I'm not sure you could tell much difference.  It looks significantly better, but is not quite photo-ready....yet.  

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you took RE everywhere! I remember once I was painting a ss room at church and you got paint on it. You cried like crazy when I took it away to wash out the paint! Can't even tell that it was a pretty yellow blanket with satin binding!

    ReplyDelete