Tuesday, December 28, 2010

DIY Christmas Ideas

Phil and I made our own presents this year and I was sooo pleased with how they turned out!





The idea came when I was looking online for personalized gift ideas...  I ran across these really cute Etsy blocks with pictures on them.  Since Phil is a handy woodworker, and I am fairly crafty, it was really very easy to pull off!

First, I had Phil cut a 2x4 block of wood into sections that are approximately 3.5 by 3.5 inches and sanded them down.



Then, I painted all sides of the blocks and let them dry overnight.  I chose a dark grey/black for these although the options are endless.  The website even featured some that used scrapbook paper instead of paint.



Next, was the hardest part.  Find the pictures you want to use, edit them in a software program, print, and crop into 3.5 x 3.5 squares. 


Use a foam brush to apply thin layer of ModgePodge to the block, and press down picture firmly, getting rid of any air bubbles. 


Once the pictures have dried, you can attatch vinyl lettering.  I ordered my letters from Words Anywhere.  They offer a million different font choices and you can mix and match as much as you want, change the color, etc.  I used white letters to stick with my black/white theme, but again, the options are endless. 



Finally, if you would like you can add antiquing around the edges of the pictures with dark ink.  I chose NOT to do this, because my pictures were already fairly dark to begin with. 

I ended up making 5 copies of these blocks in just a few hours.  GREAT present idea for family and friends!  Have fun crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment