Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Wonder Drug

I've recently had a lot of people asking me: How is Lochte doing?

For my faithful blog followers, you know by now, that our new dog, Lochte, has had some pretty bad separation anxiety.

Several weeks ago, Phil and I came home after a quick Sunday dinner at our favorite Mexican joint, to find that Lochte had somehow gotten into the "dog bin," which was located on the 2nd highest shelf on the bookcase. Not only did he get into ALL of the dog treats, he also ate 2 YEARS worth of heartworm medicine (think about $300). I was officially at breaking point. I LOVE Lochte, but really thought that we might have to part ways.

I'm not a big believer in popping pills as a quick fix to a problem, but, Lochte was literally about to eat us out of house and home. Phil and I were desperate and this was our last option. Our regular vet, had already denied my request for medication. THANKFULLY, I know a pretty good vet that very graciously prescribed us some anti-anxiety medicine, AKA THE MIRACLE DRUG!

We started seeing results the very next day! I almost couldn't believe the difference it was made in his behavior. Since he started on the meds, there have been no major fatalities while we are gone at work!!!! I'm no longer terrified to walk into my house after a long day at work! That relief is definitely worth the cost of the medicine.

Hopefully, when he grows out of the puppy phase, and gets more comfortable in our home, we will be able to wein him off. But, for now, it works!

1 comment: